SINAL DO VALE'S Reforestation Program
Florestas do Amanhã Reforestation Program
The government of the state of Rio de Janeiro has launched the Florestas do Amanhã (FDA) program to reforest 1,100 hectares of the endangered Atlantic Rainforest with endemic species of the biome. Within this framework, Sinal do Vale has committed 30 hectares of degraded land within its property to the reforestation program over the next 4 years.
SINAL will play a very particular role within the larger FDA reforestation efforts, as a pioneer in modeling integral solutions for landscape regeneration. As such, a certain degree of flexibility has been given to us to consider the following facts:
- Presence of a small amount livestock in the land, with specific species that can coexist with the animals
- Inclusion in the reforestation design of other SINAL projects, such as ecotourism attractions
- Local dynamics of the critical buffer zone of a Permanent Protection Area of the Atlantic Rainforest, and the urban sprawl of Rio de Janeiro.
Total seedlings: 38,795 – acquired strategically to strengthen the local network of nurseries.
Species: 29 endemic species, selected according to ecological succession and presence in a flora mapping and inventory of our territory.
Priority areas: Hilltops
- Total planting: Traditional planting of seedlings in the entire target-area
- Enrichment and densification: Planting of seedlings of specific species that have not yet taken over through natural regeneration
- Conduction of regeneration: Eliminating or controlling the development of invasive species and favor the growth of natives
- Direct seeding: Seeding of high quantities of native species seeds with strong germination potential
About Sinal do Vale
The Institute Sinal do Vale (SINAL) is a center for the regeneration of ecosystems, communities, and individuals and a steward of 200 hectares of land between the urban sprawl of Rio de Janeiro and some of the last protected areas in the Atlantic Forest – a biodiversity hotspot with only 12% left of original forest cover. SINAL is an Advanced Post of UNESCO’s Biosphere Reserves and 1 of 17 certified Global Ecosphere Retreats of the Long Run Initiative in the world.
Our vision is aligned with the international commitments around restoring the social and ecological functions of territories -like the UN declaration of the decade of ecosystem restoration, which seeks to restore 350 million hectares of degraded land by 2030. However, our vision is that these very ambitious goals can only be achieved through decentralized land stewardship arrangements. Sinal do Vale is working to be an example of the kind of regenerative development needed to reach this goal, and to act as a catalyst for the restoration in our biogregion of the Serra da Estrela, within the Environmentally Protected Area of Petrópolis, in Duque de Caxias.
contact at sinaldovale dot org